Interactive advertising is an interesting form of new media. After reading Manovich's paper on interactivity, I began thinking about the concept of externalizing and objectifying the mind's operations. He mentioned how the principle of hyperlinking is similar to the p
rocess of association in one's mind. It got me thinking about how similar computer systems
actually are to how we "think". For example, before computers we filed papers into folders. What is the icon for documents? A folder. It isn't necessary for us to "file" digital documents at all with the development of a search engine, but we still find it necessary to "neatly" file our documents into appropriate folders on our computers. Is this out of habit? Or is this organization need a consequence of our thought process?
I was looking over the "Waking up Hannah" advertisement with the mindset, "I'll go along with the interactive ad and choose Hannah's story, but I won't be caught up in the actual "advertisement". However when it got to the part of the story where Hannah had to choose her soap, I immediately was under Dove's spell with those great names. Grapefruit and lemongrass. Cucumber and Green tea. Waterlilly and fresh mint. I could smell those soaps in my head, just by reading the names. I have to say, I'm a big fan of cucumber and green tea. Of course I had to tell Hannah to use that type of soap. So there it is, I just told Dove that my flavor of choice was cucumber melon. I immediately remembered I needed to go to the store and buy some more (I'm running low). The advertisement worked.
which age demographic interactive ads are geared toward. I know my mom has trouble figuring out iTunes, and don't try to explain sending email to my grandparents. The thing is, interactive ads need a longer attention span and actual participation from consumers than traditional ads require. It seems that the target demographic is 25 years and younger. People under the age of 25 usually don't have kids to look after, and they understand how to interact with new media. Interactive ads can hook young people into their ads through flash technology and advanced multimedia techniques. It gets people to think about their products longer. So if companies can get consumers to think like they do, then they can successfully get people to buy their products simply by "guiding" them to follow "pre-programmed associations" through interactive advertising.
3 comments:
Rebecca,
You have presented some wonderful insights about interactive advertising. I especially appreciate your summary of Manovich's sometimes convoluted message.
Personally, the Hannah ad did not speak to me (as I am not the demographic), but I feel that I foster a generally negative disposition towards interactive advertising. To me, I see it as spending time on the phone letting someone sell you something you probably don't need. Just another time waster in my opinion. You are right on with the under 25 demographic, though. For most people our age, wasting time is passing time and these silly games/videos have the capacity to entertain certain audiences.
Going along with your digital file example, I wonder what this type of advertising relates to. Where before were we given pseudo-control over the dictations of consumerism? Makes me think of Minority Report, where a camera in the mall scans your eye to deliver personal advertisements as you walk by. ("How are you enjoying those ____ you bought last week? Maybe you'd like some _____ to go with it. There fly right off the shelf so buy quickly.")
BJ F
Becca,
It's my first trip to your blog and I am very impressed with your layout and visuals!
In regards to your post, your take on interactive advertising is interesting. I enjoyed the point you made about how advertisers are "guiding" consumer's thought processes. This is quite literal in all of the interactive ads we had watched for today's class. But do you really think that consumers are being tricked into thinking that they truly have control over the outcome of the advertisement? You and I both weren't tricked, so maybe the point is for the consumer to succumb to the advertiser's wishes and play the role that is outlined for them.
You state the obvious, that the point of these ads is to get the consumer interacting with the brand. As a result, these consumers will forge stronger connections with the advertised brand and perhaps become more brand loyal.
Great insights!
-Alex
Becca,
I also wrote my post about interactive advertising. You're right--it is such a clever concept! Interactive ads basically utilize key elements of new media (good web design, Flash animation, etc.) to draw potential consumers and expose them to their product.
I like the point you make about target demographic, which is something I hadn't thought about. It's an important one to make because you're right: interactive ads probably don't appeal to older (let's say >45) individuals. It seems to me that interactive ads are a good way for "old" brands to reach "young" consumers, to make their products seem more cool. I think that's what Burger King did with the Subservient Chicken--they reintroduced Burger King to an age group that may have grown out of it.
Anyway, you make some interesting, thought-provoking points that I definitely agree with. Good work! :)
Vinal
Vinal
Post a Comment