Silence is So Loud

on Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Our podcast projects in class has got me thinking about the role of sound in podcasts, conversations, and life in general. During the Garage Band workshop, I thought it was interesting that the instructor suggested recording ambient noises to have playing in the background of our podcasts. I went back to listen to my podcast (which has no other sound at the present, other than my voice) and he was right. My podcast made me feel uncomfortable with just my voice. Perhaps I don't like the sound of my own voice, but maybe I feel uncomfortable with the complete silence when I pause to take a breath, or there is a new section of my narrative. In other words, the silence is actually very loud. It makes me want, if not need, some other noise to fill the gap. I'll take anything, music, a horn, ambient noise, anything.


After listening to "The Kiss and The Dying" I thought about what the podcast would have been like without the "sounds" of the hospital. I think it would have changed the way it was presented to such a degree that it would not have had the same meaning. The podcast took a sort of playful, yet serious approach to dying and what matters in life. The ambient noises of the hospital made me easily picture, if not feel, the individual's room. I could almost hear the nurse asking for blood samples, or weighing the patient. Anyone can explain a hospital room setting and give a nurse dialogue, but the podcast which includes actual sound clips brings the story to a whole new level. The definition of New Media comes to mind with this mention of sound clips inserted into a story. The ability of "ducking" by bringing the ambient noises to a level which doesn't distract the listener, but instead actually adds to the narrative is truly New Media under my standards.

In other words, I think new media is becoming much more engaging and dynamic by becoming a product of our natural environment. Ambient noises are all around us, why not incorporate them into creative expression. I think podcasts that include such noises keep people's attention better, and therefore, allow listeners to better understand. It isn't
necessary to have a clean, silent background with a narrative. In fact, it's just not comfortable that way.
Silence is loud, but ambient noise makes people feel at ease, and therefore, new m
edia can incorporate a vast array of technology to further envelop readers/listeners in such a way that they don't even realize that better comprehension of media is possible.



Images:

2 comments:

Andrew Rabenstein said...

Hey Rebecca,
Silence definitely seems more deafening than background noise, but the key to using this noise successfully is changing the background noise as the scene itself changes. For example, how would the noise be different at a bar versus in someone's house? How could we alter the background noise to reflect that change in scenery? Is simply changing the volume level enough or do we need to change the background noise itself? These are a few questions to think about when drafting your podcast.

Ariana said...

Hi Rebecca, I completely agree with your point of view with sounds. Silence is really creepy and when background noise is that crisp also and you can only hear the voices, its also weird. It is important to not add too much to the soundtrack though; everything should have its purpose on a podcast. That is something I am struggling with. Your words should be powerful, and you background noises must add to the story, but if and when they are necessary is really hard to decide.

Post a Comment