Technology to the Rescue

on Sunday, March 8, 2009

I'm busy.

I don't have time to sit down and read the paper or watch the news everyday. Between taking classes, having two jobs, and preparing to move out of state, there isn't any time to keep up-to-date with the latest economic news, tech news, politics, sports, or even the weather report. Trust me, living in Michigan makes it absolutely necessary to know the weather report. My lack of time shouldn't keep me from knowing that I'll need a sweatshirt, shorts, a rain coat, and winter boots to trek to class each day.

That's where technology comes to the rescue. Podcasts are the digital savior for people on the move. I listen to podcasts whenever I can in between time commitments. Between classes, driving to work, walking to class, walking my dog, riding the bus, and even getting ready in the morning.
Here are a few podcasts that I listen to religiously:

  • ABC World News: This video podcast is pretty straight forward. It runs about 15 minutes each episode and it's updated daily. It's a summarized version of the nightly news on ABC. Sometimes it is hosted by the TV World News anchor, and other times the podcast is hosted by a news correspondant. It is broken up into segments so that if a story isn't of interest, one can skip easily past it.
  • Accuweather.com Weather Forecast: This is an audio podcast that is updated daily. I have the Detroit version downloaded which gives weather information for the day and future forecast for the city of Detroit. This is where I find out whether I'm to wear shorts and a t-shirt or a winter coat and boots.
  • Apple Keynotes: This is another video podcast which only is updated when Apple gives a keynote presentation. As a fan of the Apple company, I like watching the actual keynote presentation even though I am not able to attend. They usually present company news, product announcements, and show off new technology.
  • Buzz Report: This podcast has a comical twist on tech news. It is a video podcast hosted by Molly Wood. At times, I find her obnoxious, but she usually has good news on her program which is updated every week.
  • CNET Live: This is my favorite podcast. It comes out every Thursday and is hosted by two guys from CNET.com. Tom Merrit and Brian Cooley. They take tech questions from listeners, give their picks of the week for programs and gadgets, and they provide the latest tech news. Each host has his own personality, and I've come to anticipate the show coming out every Thursday so I can listen* to them. *Although this is a video podcast, I find myself just listening to the show, and only watching the screen if I want to see something they're talking about. This makes my driving bit safer as well.
  • Loaded: This is a daily video podcast which runs through the top tech news headlines. It is hosted by Natali del Conte, and I really like her personal remarks after some of the stories. She adds a new twist on simply reporting the news.
  • MacBreak Weekly: This is an audio podcast which runs over an hour usually. I don't always listen to this podcast all the way through because it seems to drone on at times. Leo Laporte hosts the show. I'm a big fan of his because he used to host a tv show a few years ago called "Call for Help". <----This predated podcasts!
  • Mojo in the Morning Podcast: This is another audio podcast which takes good clips from the 95.5 FM Detroit radio station. Now I'm actually not a huge fan of the radio station, but I have to admit that I LOVE the phone scams they do on the radio. Once again, I don't have time to listen to the radio at the exact time they host the phone scams. This podcast allows me to listen to the hilarious prank calls at my leisure.
I'll stop myself from posting any more of the podcasts I listen to. I admit, I'm a nerd. But how else will I know whether it's going to rain today, what the latest recession news is, or what new gadget just came out?

1 comments:

emily said...

Rebecca--I completely agree with you on the usefulness of podcasts. I too try and listen to podcasts when I'm in between commitments, studying at Starbucks, or even at work after a long day. Podcasts seem more beneficial than listening to music all the time because they teach you something, they continue your education outside of the classroom. When you feel rushed or constantly tied to homework and studying, podcasts can open up your world to the bigger picture. You definitely listen to a lot more podcasts than I do, but I regularly learn a ton about the publishing world, fashion and cooking (three of my passions) from a variety of podcasts.
I felt like some of our classmates were unimpressed by this specific technology so I'm glad you are as devoted to podcasts as I am!

Post a Comment